CURBSIDE PICK-UP AND RECYCLING
Cooper Charter Township has a spring & fall curbside pick-up. Dates will be posted on our Township Event Calendar. Pickup should be completed in one week. Any item not picked up must be removed and stored out of sight by the Monday following pick up week.
Spring & Fall Pickup Rules
Unwanted objects may be placed at the curb. The following are a few very simple rules:
- All bagged (CLEAR BAGS ONLY) and containerized solid waste—must weigh less than 50lbs each.
- Larger items such as: Furniture, toys, bicycles, appliances*, home fixtures and any other items as long as they are considered non-hazardous. Mattresses, if they have bedbugs, have to be wrapped in plastic and labeled.
- Small amounts of building materials—door, window cabinet—must be cut down to fit into the truck and be lifted by one person! NO DEMOLITION STYLE LARGE VOLUMES.
- Latex Paints—paint must be dried up in containers (use sawdust, kitty litter, or just leave the can open for a few days).
- Wheel rims and small car parts.
- Tires (tires may be accepted if they are cut up in plat pieces—like a bagel).
- PICK UP VOLUME IS LIMITED TO 3 CUBIC YARDS PER RESIDENCE (EQUAL TO A PICK-UP TRUCK BED)
- REPUBLIC WILL BASICALLY PICK –UP MOST EVERYTHING PLACED AT THE CURB (SEE EXCEPTIONS BELOW) AS LONG AS IT IS PREPARED IN “MANAGEABLE BUNDLES”, BAGS, BOXES AND CONTAINERS.
- REPUBLIC EMPLOYEES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO UNLOAD VEHICLES OR TRAILERS.
- Large plastic drums, concrete, large pieces of metal, yard waste, liquid waste, hazardous waste
- Whole tires and tires on rims
- Non-latex paints and varnishes, motor oil, solvents, any batteries
- Regulated medical waste
- Large car parts such as: engine blocks, bodies, oversize hoods & doors
- Building demolition: while they will take certain amounts of building material (see above), they will not be able to remove loose material or large volumes such as: Garage, Room or House demolition that would normally require a construction style dumpster.
- Appliances that contain Freon, such as: Refrigerators & Air Conditioners. *These items can be accepted if the Freon has been removed and the appliance is “tagged” by a licensed facility that the Freon has been removed.
Any item not picked up must be removed and stored out of sight by Monday following pickup week. Violators will be prosecuted. Containers will not be returned.
NO GRASS, LEAVES, BRUSH OR BRANCHES!
The Township has contracted with Republic Services to provide every other week single stream curbside recycling. 96 gallon carts will be distributed. If you have questions please call 1-877-698-7274. Brochure on WHAT can be recycled and HOW to recycle!
Also, check out the new experts on all things recycling….. The Recycling Raccoon Squad!!
- Tuesday Service Area – All homes on the north side of D Ave to Baseline. Both sides of D Ave from Westnedge to Sprinkle. Riverview north of E Ave. Also all homes off of Springbrook and E Ave east of Riverview.
- Wednesday Service Area – All homes on E Ave and Springbrook west of Riverview. All homes on Riverview south of E Ave on both sides. All remaining homes between 24th and the Kalamazoo River north of G Ave.
- Thursday Service Area – All homes on the south side of D from 12th to Westnedge. All remaining homes between 12th St. to both sides of Westnedge.
Drop Off Location: 1590 West D Ave., Old Recycling Center
Styrofoam must be clean
Drop Off Dates: will be as follows:
- Jan 5, 2019 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Mar 23, 2019 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Jun 22, 2019 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Sept 28, 2019 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Grass, Leaves and Brush Disposal
State law bans yard waste from being placed in landfills.
Private Pickup: Waste haulers offer weekly pickup of yard waste:
- Best Way Disposal – 388-3300
- BFI Waste Service
Drop Off Sites: Best Way Waste & Recycling Transfer Station – 388-3346 – off Miller Road.
Household Hazardous Waste Program
Please contact Kalamazoo County Program at 269-373-5211 for information about materials accepted and hours.
Please contact the Township office at 269-382-0223 with any recycling questions.