CURBSIDE PICK-UP AND RECYCLING
Cooper Charter Township has a spring & fall curbside pick-up. Dates will be posted here and on our Township Event Calendar. Pickup should be completed in one week. Any item not picked up must be removed and stored out of sight by the Monday following pick up week.
Spring & Fall Pickup Rules –
Unwanted objects may be placed at the curb. The following are a few very simple rules:
- Larger items such as: Furniture, toys, bicycles, appliances*, home fixtures and any other items as long as they are considered non-hazardous.
- Mattresses, if they have bedbugs, have to be wrapped in plastic and labeled.
- Small amounts of building materials—door, window cabinet—must be cut down to fit into the truck and be lifted by one person! NO DEMOLITION/REMODEL STYLE LARGE VOLUMES.
- Tires (tires may be accepted if they are cut up in plat pieces—like a bagel).
- PICK UP VOLUME IS LIMITED TO 3 CUBIC YARDS PER RESIDENCE (EQUAL TO A PICK-UP TRUCK BED)
- REPUBLIC EMPLOYEES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO UNLOAD VEHICLES OR TRAILERS.
- No bags of stuff or small items should be put out. If its small enough to fit in a bag, put it in your garbage herbie.
- No bags of kitchen refuse.
- Large plastic drums, concrete, large pieces of metal, yard waste, liquid waste, hazardous waste
- Whole tires and tires on rims
- Non-latex paints and varnishes, motor oil, solvents, any batteries
- Regulated medical waste
- Large car parts such as: engine blocks, bodies, oversize hoods & doors
- Building demolition: while they will take very small amounts of building material (see above), they will not be able to remove large volumes such as: Garage, Room or House demolition/remodel….. a construction style dumpster would be your best option in this instance.
- Appliances that contain Freon, such as: Refrigerators & Air Conditioners. *These items can be accepted if the Freon has been removed and the appliance is “tagged” by a licensed facility that the Freon has been removed.
- NO GRASS, LEAVES, BRUSH OR BRANCHES!
Any item not picked up must be removed and stored out of sight by Monday following pickup week. Violators will be prosecuted. Containers will not be returned. Any questions or problems with this service, please call the township hall at 269-382-0223 or email.
The Township has contracted with Republic Services to provide every other week single stream curbside recycling. 96 gallon carts will be distributed. Please put your Recycling Herbie out on your curbside THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED PICK-UP. Any problems you have with their service, please call Republic at 1-888-249-5112
- Tuesday Service Area – All homes on the north side of D Ave to Baseline. Both sides of D Ave from Westnedge to Sprinkle. Riverview north of E Ave. Also all homes off of Springbrook and E Ave east of Riverview.
- Wednesday Service Area – All homes on E Ave and Springbrook west of Riverview. All homes on Riverview south of E Ave on both sides. All remaining homes between 24th and the Kalamazoo River north of G Ave.
- Thursday Service Area – All homes on the south side of D from 12th to Westnedge. All remaining homes between 12th St. to both sides of Westnedge.
Drop Off Location: 1590 West D Ave., Old Recycling Center
Styrofoam must be clean
Drop Off Dates: will be as follows:
- Jan 8, 2022 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Mar 26, 2022 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Jun 25, 2022 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Sept 24, 2022 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Grass, Leaves and Brush Disposal
State law bans yard waste from being placed in landfills.
Private Pickup: Waste haulers offer weekly pickup of yard waste:
- Best Way Disposal – 388-3300
- BFI Waste Service – https://www.republicservices.com/residents/yard-waste
- Mulders -269-250-GROW
Drop Off Sites: Best Way Waste & Recycling Transfer Station – 388-3346 – off Miller Road.
Household Hazardous Waste Program
Please contact Kalamazoo County Program at 269-373-5211 for information about materials accepted and hours. Other options for recycling hazardous materials can be found below or by searching the internet. Some options include:
BEST BUY – free recycling of appliances and electronics
INTERSTATE BATTERIES – free recycling of batteries
UNCLE ED’S – free recycling of used motor oil
SCHUPAN – drive thru recycling center