CURBSIDE PICK-UP AND RECYCLING
Cooper Charter Township has a spring & fall curbside pick-up. Dates will be posted on our Township Event Calendar. Pickup should be completed in one week. Any item not picked up must be removed and stored out of sight by the Monday following pick up week.
Spring & Fall Pickup Rules
Unwanted objects may be placed at the curb. The following are a few very simple rules:
- No Bags Allowed – only items to large to fit into a garbage serve herby will be picked up!
- Larger items such as: Furniture, toys, bicycles, appliances*, home fixtures and any other items as long as they are considered non-hazardous. Mattresses, if they have bedbugs, have to be wrapped in plastic and labeled.
- Small amounts of building materials—door, window cabinet—must be cut down to fit into the truck and be lifted by one person! NO DEMOLITION STYLE LARGE VOLUMES.
- Tires (tires may be accepted if they are cut up in plat pieces—like a bagel).
- PICK UP VOLUME IS LIMITED TO 3 CUBIC YARDS PER RESIDENCE (EQUAL TO A PICK-UP TRUCK BED)
- REPUBLIC EMPLOYEES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO UNLOAD VEHICLES OR TRAILERS.
- bagged garbage – anything small enough to go into a garbage herby should go into a garbage herby!
- Large plastic drums, concrete, large pieces of metal, yard waste, liquid waste, hazardous waste
- Whole tires and tires on rims
- Non-latex paints and varnishes, motor oil, solvents, any batteries
- Regulated medical waste
- Large car parts such as: engine blocks, bodies, oversize hoods & doors
- Building demolition: while they will take certain amounts of building material (see above), they will not be able to remove loose material or large volumes such as: Garage, Room or House demolition that would normally require a construction style dumpster.
- Appliances that contain Freon, such as: Refrigerators & Air Conditioners. *These items can be accepted if the Freon has been removed and the appliance is “tagged” by a licensed facility that the Freon has been removed.
- NO GRASS, LEAVES, BRUSH OR BRANCHES!
Any item not picked up must be removed and stored out of sight by Monday following pickup week. Violators will be prosecuted. Containers will not be returned.
The Township has contracted with Republic Services to provide every other week single stream curbside recycling. 96 gallon carts will be distributed. If you have questions please call 1-877-698-7274. Brochure on WHAT can be recycled and HOW to recycle!
Also, check out the new experts on all things recycling….. The Recycling Raccoon Squad!!
- Tuesday Service Area – All homes on the north side of D Ave to Baseline. Both sides of D Ave from Westnedge to Sprinkle. Riverview north of E Ave. Also all homes off of Springbrook and E Ave east of Riverview.
- Wednesday Service Area – All homes on E Ave and Springbrook west of Riverview. All homes on Riverview south of E Ave on both sides. All remaining homes between 24th and the Kalamazoo River north of G Ave.
- Thursday Service Area – All homes on the south side of D from 12th to Westnedge. All remaining homes between 12th St. to both sides of Westnedge.
Drop Off Location: 1590 West D Ave., Old Recycling Center
Styrofoam must be clean
Drop Off Dates: will be as follows:
- Sept 28, 2019 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Jan 4, 2020 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Mar 28, 2020 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Jun 27, 2020 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Sept 26, 2020 – 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Grass, Leaves and Brush Disposal
State law bans yard waste from being placed in landfills.
Private Pickup: Waste haulers offer weekly pickup of yard waste:
- Best Way Disposal – 388-3300
- BFI Waste Service
Drop Off Sites: Best Way Waste & Recycling Transfer Station – 388-3346 – off Miller Road.
Household Hazardous Waste Program
**As of October 29, 2019 – Cooper Township has met its $8000.00 worth of participation with the Household Hazardous Waste Program. As a resident of Cooper you can either wait until January 1, 2020 when it will once again be free, or you can go now and expect to pay a small fee.
Please contact Kalamazoo County Program at 269-373-5211 for information about materials accepted and hours.
Please contact the Township office at 269-382-0223 with any recycling questions.